Google Pigeon Local Update
By: June Bachman ~
8/7/2014 9:00:00 AM
If you’re noticing changes in your local search results, it may be due to Google’s recent update. Industry pundits have named this update Pigeon update. Basically, Google has launched a new local search algorithm that more closely follows variables used to determine ranking found in web search results. This means the new algorithm for local search is now using more of the same variable used in their web search algorithm.
Some of the effects of the update include:
- Less duplication of search results
- Smaller radius of search results – Google is now providing local listings within a closer radius to your current location
- Local directories, such as Yelp, appear to benefit from this update with higher search result rankings
- The real estate industry has been hit hard, as many have lost their local listings entirely
Whether this update affects your listing or not, it is still a good reminder to spend some time this week working on your local listings!
- Check if your NAP (Name Address Phone) is consistent across all the local sites
- Strengthen your Yelp, Google Local, Yahoo, Bing local pages and improve your engagement
- Ensure your local profiles at review sites are promoted as Yelp is ranking this significantly
- Improve the content on your home page, and landing pages with local elements