Tips, Tricks and Techniques to Improve Your Local Google Ranking
By: June Bachman ~
8/6/2016 9:00:00 AM
Local listings in search results remain an extremely important part of your overall online marketing strategy. With the continuous algorithm ranking changes and updates from Google, not only how well your website is optimized affects your local listing rankings; but the opposite is true as well. How well your local listings rank now also can positively or negatively affect the ranking of your website. Simply put, your local listings just became even more important than ever.
First and foremost, if you haven’t claimed your Google My Business listing, start here. You will want to claim your listing and build your profile as completely as possible. If you need help – check out @googlemybiz – Google My Business’s own Twitter account. Tweet if you need some help!
Factors that influence your Local Listing Ranking in Search Engine Results
- Google determines the popularity of your business by looking at the number of reviews your business has received. Simply put, businesses with more reviews tend to rank higher in the local search results. Additionally, have you responded to the reviews left by your customers? Replying shows you value your customers and their feedback.
- Additionally, Google likes photos. Make certain you have included as many photos as you can in your Google My Business local listing. Photos are a great way to tell the story of your business.
- Is your primary keyword phrase part of your business name? If so, it will benefit you in the ranking results.
- Do you have any followers on your Google My Business listing? If not – go get some! Even having just a few followers more than your competitors can make a difference.
- Verify your Google My Business listing to prove to Google you are the business owner (or appropriate person) to manage the listing. Verification of your listing is what grants you the authority to make updates and changes to the listing.
Bonus Tips to Help Your Local Listing Ranking
- At the end of the day, Google LOVES fresh, relevant content. A blog is a great way to not only keep your website refreshed, but interesting and relevant content will also please your website visitors.
- Don’t forget about the importance of your keyword phrases. Be sure you are using the keyword phrases that your customers will use when they are seeking what you have to offer. Take the time to review your analytics, test and research to ensure you are choosing the best keyword phrases.
- Remember to list your business on local directories, such as Google+, Yahoo, Bing, Yellow Page, Yelp, etc. Customers search these listings when looking for businesses.
- Check and double check all of your listings on the internet. Not only can duplicate listings be confusing for your customers, they also confuse the search engines – and can dilute your rankings.
- Always ask your customers to take the time to review your business online. High quality online reviews on Google+ will have a positive impact on the overall ranking of your local listing.