Written By: June Bachman ~
10/19/2018 9:00:00 AM
Singles Day began in China in 1993. A group of male students from Nanjing University decided on this day, they would celebrate being single. In 2009, Alibaba had its first Singles Day Sale; and since then, it has become one of the largest online sales day in the world. By 2012, Singles Day actually surpassed Cyber Monday Sales. Last year, 2017 ... Alibaba broke the record for the most transactions per second. They processed 256,000 transactions per second!
Fun Facts 2017
- Single biggest shopping day in world history with $25 billion in sales. 40% higher than 2016.
- More than 140,000 brands listed more than 15 million products on sale. The best sellers were wellness and baby products.
- Over 812 million packages shipped. With the first order delivered within 12 minutes of its purchase.
- Over 1.45 billion online trasactions were recorded during the 24 hour period. And, 90% were completed on mobile devices.
- Singles Day out did Prime Day in mere minutes. Amazon Prime Day sold $1 billion in 2017 within 24 hours. Singles Day completed that within its first 2 minutes.
So - for those singles out there ... get ready ... it's almost time to treat yourself!
And - for those businesses out there ... what do you have to offer singles on Singles Day?