Google Local Search Results Now Only Display 3 Listings (Not 7 Listings)
By: June Bachman ~
8/13/2015 9:00:00 AM
Google used to list 7 local search results on the search engine results page. Now, in an attempt to align local search results with their mobile search results, only 3 listings will be listed.
This is a big deal for many businesses because Google used to display the top 7 local results. This will make the top 3 placements even more desirable and competitive. It just became even more important to ensure your local strategy is rife with local data.
What you need to do …
- Double check your business information in your Google+ Local listing
- Ensure all fields are completed and accurate NAP (Name, Address & Phone) data must be accurate, and match exactly, all sites on the internet that display this data about your company
- Ensure your site is mobile friendly. This variable continues to become ever-more important as a ranking factor.
Some of the differences in the new design include:
- Google no longer shows the customers phone number
- The number of results has been reduced to only 3 (instead of the previous 7 results)
Many small businesses think the update to the local search results further alienates Google from local business owners.